Mission

We are committed to bring others into a loving relationship with God, to help them grow in their love and knowledge of God and to work with other Bible-believing Christians in the essential work of Kingdom ministry
(Matthew 28:18-20. Acts 1:7-8)

Top

History

A BRIEF HISTORY OF CHURCH OF GOD OF PROPHECY, ABERDEEN STREET

Aberdeen street church has had a long and interesting history. It began in the 1950’s with the arrival of migrants from the Caribbean following the aftermath of the Second World War. Many of these new arrivals were members of the Church of God of Prophecy as well as other denominations in the Caribbean. On arrival they were unable to find the church they knew and loved from home. As members learned of each other’s location they would meet for prayer and fellowship in a home, sometimes moving from house to house. Two of the homes that were significant at the time were, 20 Florence Road, Smethwick, the home occupied by the late Pastor E. L. Plummer and others, as well as 20 Endwood Court Road, Handsworth Wood, the home of Pastor Cynthia Brown and the late deacon Joseph Brown.

After a while the group began to grow and was becoming too large for a home. In September 1957 they moved to Grove Lane School Hall in Handsworth. Although the church was not formally organised they commenced worship under the pastorate of the late E. L. Plummer. The Church was formally organised in 1958 with 10 members when Bishop Charles Hawkins became National Overseer

After a period of six years at Grove Lane the congregation was given notice to leave after the neighbours complained to the Council regarding the level of noise and other issues. This was a difficult time for the church as they could not find another place to worship and the notice was about to expire. However, it turned out to be a significant turning point for the church locally, regionally and nationally. It was at that point that Pastor Plummer located and purchased a building at Peel Street, Winson Green with much of his own funds, and the support of the congregation. The purchase of the Peel Street building enabled the Church of God of Prophecy to meet the criteria to be formally registered in the United Kingdom.

The congregation remained at Peel Street for approximately 16 years where, in addition to Pastor Plummer the church was led by Elder Crossfield and Bishop T.A. McCalla. During the 1970’s the church experienced tremendous growth under the leadership of Bishop McCalla. This young, vibrant and growing congregation with a young, energetic and charismatic pastor had a massive vision. There were some exciting times of spontaneous outbreaks of Holy Ghost revivals resulting in many people being saved, and regular water baptisms, sometimes over 20 people.

In addition the church also continued to benefit from a steady flow of people from the Caribbean. For many new arrivals to the UK, whether or not they were Christians,as well as a place of worship, the church provided a ready made family environment and social network into which they could quickly be assimilated. It was during this era that the Peel Street Youth Choir was first formed by Patricia Womack nee McCalla. This was to have a tremendous impact on the church locally and nationally. It gave the large number of young people the opportunity to be a part of something new, exciting and fulfilling. It was during the latter part of the Peel Street era that the concept of a Gospel concert was first introduced to the church by Bishop McCalla. Although initially resisted by many, concerts quickly became quite significant as it provided opportunities to raise funds. More importantly however, it also provided a place of ministry for individuals, groups and choirs, as well as a kind of spiritual/social event for people to attend. Alongside the choir other groups sprang up such as the Spiritual Rhythm and later an all male group known as Jerry and the Peace Makers.

Not surprisingly by the mid 1970’s the congregation had outgrown what was by then a somewhat dilapidated, rat infested building in Peel Street. Bishop McCalla had a vision of a large building with modern facilities, as well as the capacity to accommodate District functions and local church growth for many years into the future.

After a short search, a piece of land was identified and purchased in nearby Aberdeen Street. Bishop McCalla led the fund raising drive with tremendous passion and with the support of the members. Various methods were used to raise funds including street collections, partners, selling various food and other items, and sacrificial giving. The church held numerous fund raising programs that often incorporated fierce competition between various individuals and groups. The building was completed in 1979 and was officially opened on 14th July of that year; a memorable day for the congregation.

At Aberdeen Street the congregation continued to grow numerically, spiritually and socially. At times Sunday School attendance reached over 400. In the early 1980’s it is estimated that the majority of the congregation was under the age of 30, of which the major portion were teenagers or in their early to mid twenties. This environment quickly became fertile ground for ministry development which started at Peel Street. The Youth choir, now “Aberdeen St Fellowship Choir”, grew from strength to strength under the leadership of Patricia Womack nee McCalla, Caroline Oliver, Joy Watson, Sheila McCalla, and today currently Charmain Oliver and Clive Anderson. Alongside the Youth/Fellowship choir some excellent musicians were emerging who were the envy of the world. They served the church and the choir faithfully and at great cost to themselves. It must also be recognised that long before the Fellowship Choir was ever conceived the church choir was ministering in the local church under the leadership of Pearlina Howe. As one of the few remaining members from Grove lane, sister Howe has been involved with the choir for over 50 years.

It is important to acknowledge that the development of the church at Aberdeen Street was achieved because of the commitment and sacrifices of many of its members and ministers past and present. We must also give special recognition to the role of our women. Although they did not form a significant part of the leadership, women have always formed the majority of the membership and did the majority of the work, be it evangelism, prayer, fund raising, or church attendance.

Bishop McCalla remained pastor of the congregation at Aberdeen Street for a total of 22 years until he was appointed National Overseer of Nigeria and Ghana in 1991. Bishop Oswill Williams who was the National Overseer at the time, took on the role of pastor for a short period, after which he was succeeded by Bishop Wilton Powell who led the congregation for 9 years. He was followed by Pastor Wilma Folayan who was the first woman to pastor the church. Bishop Bill Richards followed and pastored for a total of 6 years before being succeeded by the current pastor Bishop Paul McCalla.

Today Aberdeen Street church continues to build on the foundation laid by many faithful men and women, some whom have been laid to rest. Some who were among those who started the journey at Grove Lane in the late 1950’s are still on the journey; we salute them for their faithfulness and sacrifice.

Top